Undergraduate Information

Additional pertinent information regarding the Code of Behaviour on Academic Matters, Code of Student Conduct and Access to Student Academic Records is available through the Web at:

Information recorded at the time of registration is transmitted to the Registrar’s Office. Based on this information, the Faculty issues marks and transcripts.  Inaccurate or out-of-date information could cause serious inconvenience, such as a delay in receiving awards, results, transcripts, graduation information and other official documents. Students must update their  own information on the university’s student record system (ACORN) or immediately report to our office with any changes in the following:

  1. Program of studies (courses), including any change in the number or section of a course in which they are enrolled;
  2. Permanent or home address, telephone number, and email address;
  3. Temporary address, telephone number and email address during the academic session;
  4. Citizenship status in Canada;
  5. Name (legal proof must be presented).

Notice of collection concerning Freedom of Information and Protection Privacy, see University of Toronto Policies.

Academic Standing
A student is not considered in good standing if their cumulative academic GPA is less than 1.7. If you fail any tests  or assignments or if your marks are below 60% in any course you are advised to seek academic counselling. See Academic Status for further details.

Attendance at Classes and Examinations
Students proceeding to the BKin degree are required to attend the courses of instruction and the examinations in all prescribed subjects. Students are expected to attend and actively participate in 100% of activity course sessions as well as 100% of the assigned laboratories, seminars and tutorial sessions in academic courses. All absences must be documented. Refer to course outlines for the effects that absence(s) will have on final grades. Classes begin 10 minutes after the hour and finish on the hour, unless otherwise stated.

Failure to Drop Courses
Failure to drop a course prior to the deadline outlined in the Academic Calendar will result in the course remaining on the transcript, with a mark determined from the work accomplished  in the course. Students are advised to check their programs on the ACORN website, each term before the appropriate deadlines.

Course Overload
Students with an overall GPA of less  than 2.7 in the preceding academic year may register for no more than one full academic course beyond that which is normal for their academic year. Only students with an overall GPA of 2.7 or higher may exceed this course load; however, permission to do so must be obtained prior to the start of the “overload courses”. Failure of students to obtain permission in advance, may result in their being withdrawn from courses well after program confirmation dates. Discuss exceptional circumstances regarding course overloads and/or the 2.7 requirement with the Registrar’s Office staff.

Extra Credits
All courses students complete at the University of Toronto before graduation will be included in their degree GPAs, with the following exceptions:

  • No more than 1.5 elective credits from other divisions may be at the 100 level. All others will be extra.
  • A repeated course that had previously been successfully completed (only allowed for program pre-requisite purposes) will be extra.
  • A completed course that is an exclusion to a degree requirement or already completed course will be extra.

Extra credits appear on the transcript with the earned grade and ‘Extra’ notation, but do not factor into student GPAs nor count towards their degree completion.

Transfer Credits and Letters of Permission
There are two types of transfer credits: incoming credits for transfer students, and letter of permission credits for current students. Generally, course descriptions are used for assessment. However, in cases where students wish comparisons to division-specific (i.e. ANA, KPE or PSL) courses, detailed course outlines must be provided by students applying for transfer credit. Complete applications are due in mid-August of their year of admission. A maximum of 9.0 academic credits may be transferred.

Current BKin students may take a maximum of 5.0 academic credits from other approved universities by letter of permission (provided these courses do not exceed the overall transfer maximum of 9.0 academic credits). Applicants who have completed a degree elsewhere may only transfer a maximum of 5.0 credits. With the exception of students in the Exchange Program, students are permitted only two courses on letter of permission at the 300 level or higher. Letter of permission requests must be accompanied by appropriate course outlines and payment, and submitted several weeks prior to any course application deadlines. Transfer credits for exchange students will be established on an individual basis. Transfer credits are granted only if final grades are at least one grade higher than the minimum passing grade of the other institution (e.g. 60%+ where 50% is a pass). See the Registrar’s Office for more details, and the list of fees for charges. Transfer credits will be indicated without grades on the University of Toronto transcript. Grades obtained elsewhere are not factored into  the grade point averages. Transfer students are not allowed to enroll in credit courses that would duplicate previous completed courses whether transfer credit was granted or denied.

Canadian and International Exchange Opportunities
The University of Toronto has an ever-increasing number of student exchange programs for which students in Kinesiology and Physical Education are eligible. As a general rule, students interested in studying elsewhere are encouraged to do so in the third year of enrolment. Not all courses offered will be accepted by the University of Toronto for credit. Students are advised to consult with the Registrar’s Office at least a year in advance regarding their course selections.  Under the direction of the Director for the International Liaison and Exchanges, the Centre for International Experience Office promotes and operates student exchange opportunities for the University of Toronto community.

Students are encouraged to participate in the international and Canadian exchanges offered through the Centre for International Experience. Awards are available for some exchanges.

International exchanges include universities in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Barbados, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Trinidad, United States of America, and Wales.

Canadian exchanges include: McGill University, Laval University, University of British Columbia and Acadia University. For more information, deadline dates, and application forms, contact:

Centre for International Experience
33 St. George Street, Toronto, ON M5S 2E3
Tel: (416) 978-2564,   Fax: (416) 978-6110
e-mail: learning.abroad@utoronto.ca 
website:    http://cie.utoronto.ca

The Bertha Rosenstadt National Undergraduate Conference
The Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education hosts an annual undergraduate student research day. Students from Kinesiology and Physical Education faculties across Canada are invited to present review papers or research projects to their peers and faculty members. Each year, a renowned researcher or practitioner delivers a keynote address and awards are given to selected student presentations. Students enrolled in KPE390Y1, KPE490Y1, and KPE495H1 are required to participate.

Major/Minor Certification
Graduating students may be eligible to receive  acknowledgment  of an equivalent of an Arts and Science minor or major upon completion of certain courses within specific disciplines (geography, biology, etc.). Information regarding major/minor requirements for each discipline may be found in the Arts and Science Calendar of your year of entry. Interested students must notify the Registrar’s Office by the last date to delete courses in the winter term of their final year of study. Students must present documentation of the Faculty of Arts and Science requirements for minors/majors and provide evidence that all requirements will have been completed by the time of graduation. Successful completion will result in the annotation of the student's transcript as to the completion of the minor or major.

NOTE: In some disciplines, the Faculty of Arts and Science has found it necessary to restrict enrolment in upper-level courses to their own students. BKin students planning to pursue “majors” and/or “minors” should consult the department concerned regarding the availability of courses.

Students no longer attending courses must notify the Faculty, in writing, of their intent to withdraw before the last date to drop courses. Non-attendance is not withdrawing. Failing grades are issued for non-attendance. Before a fee refund will be issued, students must:

  • pay any outstanding fees,
  • pay outstanding library fines and return books,
  • vacate any laboratory or athletic lockers and return any equipment in their possession.

Students may withdraw from the BKin program without academic penalty up to the deadline to drop courses for that term. If withdrawal is in the second term, grades will be retained for first term course(s).

Plagiarism is the act of presenting the ideas or words of another as your own. While it may be argued that few ideas are original, instructors expect students to acknowledge the sources of ideas and expressions that they use in essays. To represent them as self-created is dishonest and academically worthless. You may quote or paraphrase another writer if he or she has stated an idea strikingly, as evidence to support your arguments or conclusions, or as a point against which to argue, but such borrowing should be used sparingly and must always be indicated in a footnote. The aim of scholarship is to develop your own ideas and research, and only by trying to develop your own thoughts and arguments will you mature academically.

To provide adequate documentation is not only an indication of academic honesty,  but also a courtesy enabling the teacher to consult your sources with ease. Failure to do so constitutes plagiarism, and is subject to serious academic penalty. (See Code of Behaviour on Academic Matters regarding this and other academic offences and sanctions.)

Student organizations may submit notices advertising meetings and activities to the Registrar’s Office for posting on the Faculty Bulletin Boards. Unauthorized notices will be removed, and organizations making unauthorized postings will forfeit consideration for approved posting.

The regulations of the Faculty and the requirements for the BKin degree must be observed carefully by each student. Regulations and degree requirements are considered official only when confirmed in writing as in the Calendar, on Faculty Notice Boards or in written communication to students. Verbal communication (telephone and other conversations) cannot serve as grounds for petition. Failure to observe Faculty regulations can result in academic and/or financial penalties. Student negligence is not grounds for petition. However, where a student has genuine difficulties complying with a particular regulation, the Faculty will entertain a petition, i.e. a formal application by a student for exemption from, variation on, or special consideration with regard to program regulations. A reasonable case for a petition should involve events beyond a student’s control. These events must be shown to have been an obstacle to successful completion of academic responsibilities.  Most of these situations concern illness, personal problems, accidents, family difficulties, etc. Personal convenience (e.g. travel plans) and work commitments are not normally acceptable as petitionable. Petition forms are available from the Registrar’s Office, the Faculty Main Office and the Faculty website. Official documentation of pertinent evidence must be submitted  in support of the petition. If illness is  being used as the reason, the University of Toronto Student Medical Certificate must be completed by the doctor. Other medical notes will not be accepted.

Petitions are reviewed by the Examinations Petitions Sub-Committee, which meets weekly during the school term. Contentious or unique petitions are referred to the Examinations Committee, which meets monthly. Students are thus advised to present any requests as early as possible.  Petitions will not be considered at times other than regular meetings of the pertinent committee unless there is clear evidence that an unforeseeable situation makes this mandatory. Where appropriate, an appeal of a decision by the Examinations Committee may be forwarded to the Appeals Committee to the attention of the KPE Registrar's Office. Students are advised to consult with the Director, Undergraduate Program regarding the appeals policies and procedures. Any further appeal may be forwarded to the University Governing Council. Appeals will be considered only if filed within 30 days of the notification date of the petition result.

The student is entitled to be accompanied by counsel when appearing before the Appeal Panel.

Academic Discipline
The Governing Council of the University of Toronto has approved a Code of Behaviour on Academic Matters regarding academic discipline. This code applies to all students and members of the teaching staff of the University. The code describes the rights and freedoms to be enjoyed by members of the University. It also lists forms of behaviour regarded as academic offences, and the sanctions for such offences. Please note that a student cannot plead that he/she did not realize that a particular behaviour was considered an offence for, according to the code, an offence is committed knowingly if the person ought reasonably to have known that the conduct was an offence. The full  Code of Behaviour on Academic Matters document is available online.

Non-academic Discipline
The college and faculty councils have disciplinary jurisdiction over the conduct of all students registered in their respective divisions of the University in all matters of local or internal concern to the divisions. The Faculty Council has such jurisdiction in the case of Kinesiology and Physical Education students. Jurisdiction over the conduct of students while in residence rests with the body administering the residence. Where the appropriate body exercising disciplinary jurisdiction has found that a student of the University has engaged in conduct prejudicial to the interests of the University, the Dean may, in its discretion, suspend or expel a student from the academic privileges of the University. Every decision of the Dean involving the expulsion of a student from the University requires confirmation by the Governing Council.  The role of the Dean and the various Councils as described above is contingent on the understanding that offences, actions or claims within the jurisdiction of criminal and civil courts will be referred where appropriate to those courts, and will only  be reviewed by the Dean where the implications to the University are considered sufficiently important to warrant such review. The Governing Council of the University of Toronto has approved a Code of Student Conduct. The full Code of Student Conduct document is available online.

Standards of Professional Practice Behaviour for Health Professional Students
There are appropriate standards of behaviour and ethical values for health professional students engaged in placements as part of their academic programs. The full Standards of Professional Practice Behaviour for all Health Professional Students document is available online.

The transcript of a student’s record reports courses in progress and the standing in all courses attempted along with course averages, information about the student’s academic status, and completion of degree requirements. Individual courses that a student cancels within the normal time limit are not shown. Final course results are added to each student’s record at the end of each session and summer subsession. GPAs are calculated at the end of each session and are also calculated for the combined fall and winter course resulting in annual averages. Cumulative grade point averages include  all courses taken in the BKin program to the end of the session concerned. Sessional, annual, and cumulative averages are calculated for graded academic courses(academic component grade point average).

In the calculation of grade point averages, academic courses are weighted in the following manner:


Copies of the transcript are issued at the student’s request, subject to reasonable notice. The University of Toronto will issue only a consolidated transcript, including a student’s total academic record at the University. Students may request consolidated transcripts on the ACORN website. See the University of Toronto Transcript Center website for more information, including current prices, processing times and alternate ordering methods.

The University of Toronto cannot be responsible for transcripts lost or delayed in the mail. Transcripts are not issued for students who have outstanding financial obligations with the University.

Health Sciences Writing Centre
Need help with essay and exam writing, note-taking, research, or critical analysis?  The Centre is a teaching facility open to both undergraduate and graduate students. It offers free, 45-minute sessions with experienced tutors, and a regular series of academic skills workshops. See Health Sciences Writing Centre website for information and appointments.

Eating and Drinking in Classrooms 
Eating and drinking are not normally permitted in scheduled classes (lecture, laboratory, tutorial). However, students who have timetables without a lunch  break between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. may obtain permission from their instructors  to eat lunch during a scheduled class. Such students are fully responsible for follow-up cleaning.

The Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education (KPE) is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment that nurtures a culture of belonging. We strive to address and remove structural barriers in education, sport, and recreation through the co-creation of diverse and meaningful opportunities for equity-deserving communities within the Faculty’s teaching, research, programs, and services. These barriers are rooted in historical and ongoing inequities including but not limited to colonialism, racism, sexism, heterosexism, ageism, classism, ableism, religious-based and gender-based discrimination. As part of an institution complicit in contributing to colonial processes, we are also committed to reconciliation by building relationships with Indigenous communities in order to learn about the diversity of Indigenous Nations, create Indigenous spaces, and enact anti-colonial practices. Grounded in an inclusive framework, we will work to co-create purposeful change with our diverse KPE communities.

Voluntary Leave

All Faculty of Kinesiology & Physical Education students who have completed at least one academic term (e.g., Fall 2023 or Winter 2024) and whose current academic standing is in good academic standing or on academic probation may take a voluntary leave from studies without formal authorization. Students may request a leave for the Fall term, the Winter term, or the complete Fall/Winter session, for up to a maximum of two consecutive Fall/Winter sessions. No specific documentation or approval is required.

How to Take a Voluntary Leave

To take a voluntary leave from studies, students have the option to: a) choose not to complete registration in a given academic period (e.g., Fall/Winter session, Fall or Winter term), or b) cancel their current registration in a given academic period. For students who have already completed registration, read below for more information on cancelling registration. If you are an international student considering a voluntary leave from your studies, it is strongly recommended that you refer to the Leave of Absence Policy for International Students for further information.

While on Leave

While on a voluntary leave, students will not pay any tuition, incidental, or ancillary fees; are not considered for scholarships or awards; cannot normally access University services including health services (with the exception of the Office of the Registrar and Student Services); participate in student placements/internships; or undertake undergraduate research. A student who chooses to take a voluntary leave from their studies is not exempt from academic deadlines, financial responsibilities, current or future policies, and fee schedules. Students who cancel their registration part-way through a term are responsible for any outstanding balance owed to the University. Students on leave may contact the Office of the Registrar and Student Services for advising.

Financial Considerations while on leave

Each student’s financial aid and award situation is unique. It is recommended that students meet with an advisor in the Office of the Registrar and Student Services Office when considering a voluntary leave of absence to discuss financial implications. An advisor can help review the impact on financial aid programs such as OSAP, out of province aid, UTAPS, or US Loans; the impact for internal and external award payments; and, how tuition and refunds will apply. Students who plan to cancel their courses and registration part-way through a term should refer to their divisional refund schedule.

Students who have questions about taking a voluntary leave, withdrawal and/or registration timelines, and/or University resources available to students while on a voluntary leave should make an appointment with an advisor in the Office of the Registrar and Student Services.

Undergraduate Leave of Absence Policy for International Students

An approved leave of absence will be permitted for international undergraduate Faculty of Kinesiology & Physical Education students who have completed at least one academic term (e.g., Fall 2023 or Winter 2024) and whose current academic standing is in good standing or on academic probation. Students may request a leave for the Fall term, the Winter term, or the complete Fall/Winter session, for up to a maximum of two consecutive Fall/Winter sessions. Students should first contact the Centre for International Experience and then the Office of the Registrar and Student Services to request a leave of absence. 

Newly admitted students are not eligible for a leave of absence and should instead, if relevant, request a deferral of admission.

Students may request a leave for the following reasons:

  • Serious health, personal or family issues
  • Issues related to child birth or child care
  • Military service

Students may extend an approved leave of absence for up to a maximum of two consecutive Fall/Winter sessions. An extension beyond two consecutive Fall/Winter sessions will not be approved; students may choose to continue a leave but it will not be considered an approved leave of absence.

While on approved leave, students do not pay any tuition, incidental, or ancillary fees; are not permitted to enrol in courses or register in the Faculty; are not considered for scholarships or awards; and cannot normally access University services (with the exception of the Office of the Registrar and Student Services and the Centre for International Experience), participate in student placements/internships, or undertake undergraduate research. A student who has been granted an approved leave of absence under this policy is not exempt from academic deadlines, financial responsibilities, current or future policies, and fees schedules. 

To initiate a return to studies, students should contact the Office of the Registrar and Student Services at least one month in advance of the term or session in which they plan to resume their studies

Return from Absence
Students who were previously registered as degree students in the Faculty of Kinesiology & Physical Education, who have completed at least one academic course in the Faculty, and who have not been registered in the Faculty for the previous Fall/Winter sessions must submit an application for re-registration through the Office of the Registrar and Student Services. Students who previously studied as non-degree students do not request re-registration. They must submit a new non-degree student application. 

Students who were previously registered in the Faculty but who did not achieve final standing (e.g., a final grade) in at least one academic course must re-apply for admission through the Ontario Universities Application Centre.

Students with outstanding accounts may not re-register at the University until these accounts are paid. 
The recommended timeframe to submit an application for re-registration is a minimum of two weeks prior to course enrolment for the relevant session. Course enrolment for the Fall/Winter session begins in July; course enrolment for the Summer session begins in April. Although applications for re-registration will continue to be accepted after these dates, please note that if enrolment has already started some courses may no longer have space. 

It is recommended that students planning to re-register make an appointment with an advisor in the Office of the Registrar and Student Services to discuss their academic plans, their degree and program requirements, and any changes in Faculty policies or procedures since their last registration.